Mafia Wars Bangkok: The Story
Much like Moscow, there are two different sides to choose from. The side you choose controls the story, the jobs, and the loot. This time, you are choosing between the Japanese Yazuka and the Chinese Triads. The story is that these two groups have been battling over the Thailand territory and you will have to choose which side you want to help to be successful in this area of the game. The choice will be made twice per episode for all four mastery levels.
As with all Mafia Wars stages so far, there are six episodes. When Moscow’s beta was released, players only had access to the first two episodes. This is also the case with Bangkok. The episodes are: Brawler, Criminal, Pirate, Commandment, 5A and 5B. The two episodes for 5 will open when you have reached “trusted” status with each of the factions. Unlike its predeccesors, Bangkok has four mastery levels for each episode. Some time after the original release, prehaps to give people something to do before the release of Las Vegas, episodes 6 and 7 were added to the roster.
The loot items in Bangkok will vary depending on which faction you choose. To get access to all the loot, choose a different faction loyalty each time you master the level.
In Episode 1:
Silk Scarf Muai Thai Bodyguard
- Attack Cobra Jade
- Inlaid Pistols
In Episode 2:
- Royal Thai Army Beret
- Riding Elephant
- Bosozoku Convertible
In Episode 3:
- MalayMobil Helang
- Seua Daao Sub
- Komodo Dragon
- Fugama Kame SUV
In Episode 4:
- Forest Scorpion
- Royal Thai Army Jeep
- Hung Fa RPG
In Episode 5A:
- Scalding Hot Tea
- Kage Jet
- Optical Camo Suit
- Lloyd’s Spectre
- Type 103 Machine Gun
- Monk Robe
As with all the Mafia Wars stages so far, there are six businesses. The first four businesses are accessible right away, even in beta. The final two businesses are accessible only when a player has earned enough faction points–points earned for helping one side over the other. The businesses are:
- Fighting Fish Arena: May be upgraded 9 times in terms of production and capacity. The cost to take over is: B$12,500
- Cockfighting Pen: May be upgraded 9 times in terms of production and capacity. The cost to take over is: B$50,000.
- Tourist Guide Scam: May be upgraded 9 times in terms of production and capacity. The cost to take over is B$150,000.
- Gambling Den: May be upgraded 9 times in terms of production and capacity. The cost to take over is B$350,000.
- Drug Smuggling Ring: This business may be upgraded 9 times in terms of production and capacity. The cost to take over is B$45,000.
- Piracy Operation: This business is acquired through mastery of the “Secure a Pirate Vessel” job in Episode 3, Chapter 1. It will produce a certain number of pirates every three hours, depending on the upgrades you have chosen. These pirates are required to complete other jobs.
- Gun Running Operation: This is the business you can buy once you get at least 700 faction points with the Yazuka. This business produces “Black Market Ammo.” It starts out producing only 1 per 3 hours, but can be upgraded to produce 5 every three hours. The ammo will boost your attack skill by 32 points. The cost to take over is B$300,000.
- Yaa Baa Parlor: This is the business you can buy once you get at least 700 faction points with the Triads. This business produces “Hyper Alert Sentry.” It produces one every three hours and can be upgraded to produce five every three hours. The sentry will boost your defense skill by 32 points. The cost to take over is B$300,000.
It is possible to get both businesses if you work and earn faction points for both the Yazuka and the Triads.
What Level Will Bangkok Open?
Unlike other Mafia Wars Expansions, Bangkok will open early in the game, at level 18. Previous expansion Cuba opened to players at level 35, and Moscow opens at level 70. There are three items hiding in New York that will help players be able to open Bangkok, with a passport, once the player is at least level 18.
Opening the expansion earlier in the game helps people to build stronger characters by the time they reach the other expansions. Players between levels 18 and 200 will have a sliding scale of energy vs. experience to help move through the game faster. While the players will be able to move through the game faster, the rewards and experience will also be lower. Players who are at least level 200 will not be affected by this sliding scale.
The Energy vs. Experience Ratio
Bangkok doesn’t appear to have a very high energy vs. experience ratio, which will make it difficult for players to level up faster. Generally speaking, the more energy it takes to do a job, the higher the experience is earned. As stated earlier, players under level 200 will be able to use energy and earn experience on a sliding scale, using less energy to complete jobs faster, but earning less experience as a result.
Mafia Wars Bangkok Official Release Date
Mafia Wars Bangkok was officially released to all players in early February 2009. All players who have reached level 18 are now eligible to play. For sometime, there will be a “passport” loot drop, to spread awareness about the opening. Players can send their fellow mafia members these passports for access, but the access is already there. For players who are just getting into the game, unlocking Bangkok first will be a slight shock once they get to Cuba and Moscow. For players who are finished with New York, Cuba, and Moscow, it will be very different.