The Sims 3 has a very powerful cheat system, which is accessed by pressing SHIFT + CTRL + C, or SHIFT + CTRL + Windows Key (the Windows logo) + C on a Vista machine. This will lock mouse and keyboard controls of the game (you might want to pause before you start messing around with it) and bring up a command line at the top of the screen. That is where you type in your Cheats.
Sims 3 Basic Cheats and Gags
Open the console as described above. There are a few useful cheats that will work right off the bat.
- Typing “Help” will display some of the cheats you can type in.
- If you could use some money, typing in “kaching” and pressing enter will get you 1000 Simoleons, and “motherlode” will get 50 000.
- You can use “moveObjects On” to remove restrictions to moving things, and Sims, around in Buy mode. That is a big help when you are trying to move a couch a Sim is sitting on.
- If you are looking for a laugh, try jokePlease, though you may not exactly be slapping your knee.
- “enableLlamas On” sounds promising, but other than the confirmation message you get, no one knows what, or anything, this does. Please post a comment if you know.
These however, are just scratching the surface. We are about to unlock the really good stuff!
Sims 3 Cheats
Enable The Sims 3 Testing Cheats
The most important Console Command you need to know is “testingCheatsenabled true”. This will allow you to type in a whole bunch of powerful cheats.
- Typing “help” will bring up a longer list of commands, but still not everything.
- You can now set exactly how much money you want with “familyfunds (familyname) (3)”. For instance, “familyfunds Smith 100000”.
- Another useful cheat is “ageuptonpc”, which will turn the selected toddler into an NPC (non player character, or a Sim you don’t control) when they age up.
- What is really neat with the testing cheats are the options you get without even having to open the console!
Shift Clicking Sims 3 Cheats
After activating the “testingCheatsenabled true” code, you can shift + click on the mailbox, your self, your workplace, or even the ground.
Shift clicking the mailbox with the testing cheats enabled gives you a whack of options. You can change your career, level included. You can max out everyone in the households’ needs with Make All Happy, and keep them there, or allow them to change, with Make Moods Static/Dynamic.
If you’re lonely, you can force a visit from a Sim or NPC (pizza deliver guy, paperboy, even the Grim Reaper). You can also become acquainted with everyone in town or get a few random friends.
Teleportation, Traits, Work and Aging Cheats
Again with testing cheats enabled, you can modify the traits of your Sims by shift clicking on them. You Sims and others can be forced to age instantly as well. Shift clicking on other Sims also gives you the option to add them to your household.
A very neat cheat is the ability to instantly zip anywhere by shift clicking anywhere on the ground and choosing teleport to. After you zip to work, you can shift click on your work place to force opportunities or events.
Mood Tweaking Sims 3 Cheats
The most interesting feature of the testing cheats is that you can now click and drag your Sims Needs bars. While the mailbox offers a couple household wide options, sliding the bars gets you control over the individual Sims individual needs. This opens up a lot more than just cheating to make the game easier. Send a Sim to a party and then take their bladder down to nothing for some interesting reactions. Then do it again, and try socializing, with and without pulling the hygiene bar back up. Or keep eating and always be hungry.
The open ended nature of the Sims is almost mirrored in how the cheats allow for a lot of goofy experimentation, instead of being all about winning. Enjoy!