- slide 1 of 5
Skills such as gardening in “The Sims 3" are the perfect hobby or career for Sims that have The Sims 3 traits such as “Loves the Outdoors" “Green Thumb" and “Eco-friendly." These Sims love to be green and gardening is the perfect way to show off their environmentally conscious way of life.
Sims that don’t have these traits can also enjoy gardening as a hobby or to make money with. Sims that also have a high level of cooking skill can benefit tremendously from gardening their own ingredients for dishes.
- slide 2 of 5
The Sims 3 Gardening: Skill and Abilities
Sims can gain The Sims 3 gardening skill by reading books and from gardening. It takes time to wait for your food to grow, so to make up for some of that time, it is worth it to both garden and read the skill books. To make this go even faster, mix a “Skill Gain Drink" and drink it right before gardening or reading a book about gardening.
Each skill level your Sim has in The Sims 3 gardening skill gives your Sim abilities.
- Level 0-1 – ability to water and plant lettuce, tomatoes, apples, and grapes.
- Level 2 – ability to tend your garden by weeding.
- Level 3 – ability to fertilize your plants.
- Level 4 – no new abilities.
- Level 5 – ability to plant “Uncommon" seeds.
- Level 6 – if your Sim has the “Green Thumb" trait, they can now revive plants.
- Level 7 – ability to plant “Rare" and “Special" seeds.
- Level 8 – if your Sim completed the specific opportunity, they now have the ability to plant “Cheese" and “Egg" plants.
- Level 9 – if your Sim completed the specific opportunity, they now have the ability to plant “Burger Patty" and “Steak" plants.
- Level 10 – if your Sim completed the specific opportunity, they now have the ability to plant “Omni" plants.
- slide 3 of 5
The Sims 3 Gardening: Types of Plants
There are a wide variety of plants that your Sims can plant in “The Sims 3." Here are the lists of plants your Sim can plant and what skill level is needed to do so.
- Level 0 – apple, grape, lettuce and tomato.
- Level 5 – lime tree, onion, potato and watermelon.
- Level 7 – bell pepper, garlic, The Sims 3 life fruit, death flower, flame fruit and money tree.
- Level 8 – cheese and eggplant.
- Level 9 – burger patty and steak.
- Level 10 – omni plant.
Plants available in The Sims 3: World Adventures:
- Level 0 – cherimola blan grapes and renoit grapes.
- Level 5 – avornalino grapes, meloire grapes, plum and pomegranate.
- Level 7 – cherry tree, cranerlet nuala grapes, gralladina fran grapes and pomelo.
Plants available in The Sims 3: Late Night:
- Level 7 – The Sims 3 plasma fruit.
- slide 4 of 5
Gardening in The Sims 3: Self-employment Career
With “The Sims 3: Ambitions" Sims have the ability to register for self-employment. One such profession that can do this are gardeners. Gardeners can earn money from gardening in their own garden and also from community lots and from their neighbors gardens.
The Sims 3 Gardener Levels:
- Level 1 – Cucumber Smasher – harvest $30 worth of plants to gain a promotion.
- Level 2 – Dirt Digger – harvest $105 worth of plants to gain a promotion.
- Level 3 – Clodhopper – harvest $605 worth of plants to gain a promotion.
- Level 4 – Master Weeder – harvest $1,605 worth of plants to gain a promotion.
- Level 5 – Fertilizer Flinger – harvest $4,105 worth of plants to gain a promotion and a $500 bonus reward.
- Level 6 – Bushwhacker – harvest $11,605 worth of plants to gain a promotion.
- Level 7 – Seed Sewer – harvest $26,605 worth of plants to gain a promotion and a $1,500 bonus reward.
- Level 8 – Famed Farmer – harvest $56,605 worth of plants to gain a promotion.
- Level 9 – Progeny of the Harvest – harvest $116,605 worth of plants to gain a promotion and a $2,500 bonus reward.
- Level 10 – Dirt Digger – harvest $196,606 worth of plants to gain a promotion and a $5,000 bonus reward.
Gardening in The Sims 3 Tips:
The fastest way to earn money by gardening is to grow many money trees and sell the money bags that your Sim harvested.
Buy the lifetime reward for “Super Green Thumb" for 20,000 Lifetime Happiness points. This reward will give your Sim higher chances of growing much higher quality of plants. This really helps gardeners and chefs that need higher quality ingredients.
Use the “Collection Helper" purchasable for 40,000 Lifetime Happiness points to quickly find seeds all around your Sim’s neighborhood and also when on vacation in China, Egypt and France in “The Sims 3: World Adventures." This especially helps when finding seeds to plant life fruit, money trees, The Sims 3 death flower and many more!
- slide 5 of 5
All screenshots and references from The Sims 3.
Screenshots provided by Sheri Newton.